1st July 2009
Many new resources have been added to therapeutics section of NPC recently – why not take a look and ‘hot-sync’ your brain with the latest evidence?
The therapeutics section of the NPC virtual building contains materials arranged in floors (for example, asthma) which are grouped into categories (for example, respiratory tract). For each theme, some or all of the following materials are available.
- A <60 minute eLearning event, where you can watch and listen to an NPC trainer present a series of short workshops on the theme – generally all in less than 60 minutes
- A key slide set for the theme, with extensive notes, to use in discussion with others.
- A data focused commentary, where you can read a commentary which compares recent prescribing data with the evidence base for that theme. There are questions for reflection.
- A patient decision aid which you can download to help explain therapeutic choices to patients so that they can come to an informed decision.
- One or more quizzes where you can test your knowledge of the theme. The quizzes are formative – getting answers wrong is a valuable way of learning as fully referenced answers are provided.
- One or more case studies, which are fictional but represent “real world” scenarios where you can apply your understanding and compare your answers with fully referenced suggested model answers.
The NPC are still in the process of developing materials for the NPC Website, and the following floors, which were unavailable, are now open with new material:
We recently highlighted the NPC resources available to help prescribers and prescribing teams address therapeutics and implementation issues arising from the Better Care, Better Value indicators. National Support Materials relating to the indicator of increasing low cost prescribing of drugs affecting the renin-angiotensin system are a new addition to NPCi.
The following floors have been updated recently with new material to reflect the ever-changing evidence base:
Make sure you are signed up to NPC Email updates — the free email alerting system that keeps you up to date with the NPC news and outputs relevant to you.