8 November 2011
The NPC has produced thirteen sets of e-learning resources to support organisations and prescribers in making best use of the NPC’s document QIPP – Key therapeutic topics – medicines management options for local consideration.
QIPP e-learning resources
Slide sets, accompanying notes and recorded commentaries are available for the following QIPP therapeutic topics:
- Antibiotics – especially quinolones and cephalosporins
- Low dose antipsychotics in people with dementia
- High dose inhaled corticosteroids in asthma
- Long-acting and intermediate-acting insulin analogues
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Proton pump inhibitors
- Self monitoring of blood glucose in type 2 diabetes
- Lipid-modifying drugs – statins and ezetimibe
The Key therapeutic topics document provides an overview of the topics and options for local consideration. The recorded commentaries are short discussions around the QIPP topics, which provide an introduction to the evidence base and highlight the key issues. The slides used in the recorded commentaries are also available and can be read online or downloaded and used in discussions with colleagues. Each slide set is supported by comprehensive, fully referenced notes. Working through these resources should help prescribers and prescribing managers understand the evidence base and the rationale behind the suggested options.
The less than 60 minute e-learning event has been completely updated to take into account more recent evidence and the NICE clinical guideline for chronic heart failure, which was issued in August 2010. It provides a brief overview of heart failure, its identification and its diagnosis, and details NICE guidance, with particular emphasis on drug treatment. It reviews the clinical evidence supporting the effectiveness of recommended drug treatments and signposts resources to assist in implementing NICE guidance.
- Recent changes to the BTS/SIGN asthma guideline
- A new section on some of the key issues on managing acute asthma
- New evidence in asthma
- Miscellaneous safety updates
- Prescribing data – a recap of how are we doing?
Section 4, which discusses combination inhalers (including SMART® dosing) has also been updated.
Please comment on this rapid review using our feedback form.
Make sure you are signed up to NPC Email updates — the free email alerting system that keeps you up to date with the NPC news and outputs relevant to you